Summer Bean Black-Eyed Peas Soup




Its summer, and you're having soup? You'd be surprised, this is quite refreshing and its a favourite with George. You can prepare it beforehand, refrigerate and reheat it later, too. (which is what I usually do.) There are winter versions of this soup which is heavily flavoured with celeriac and carrots but this is a very fresh, simple and light alternative. You can use normal white beans but I love the texture of these black-eyed peas. Serve the soup with some nice pieces of chunky bread (and a small dollop of soft butter to spread on the bread - the way I like it). Additionally, you can have the usual side dishes served with Greek bean soups - salted anchovies and pickled vegetables.

I can't remember when I first tried a Greek bean soup. Maybe because I am used to having soups that they don't really stand out to me - minestrone soups are one of my favourites growing up. The Club (Holiday Villa) coffeehouse/restaurant had a great minestrone soup. Served with crisp white rolls and butter (aaahh butter with bread!). I do remember having a version of this soup (with normal white beans) on a summer's day in Thessaloniki years ago while I was visiting. I remember that it was light, a bit too salty than what I was used to, and the tablecloth was checkered red and white.

Ingredients: (2 big servings with leftovers)

250g of black-eyed peas, soaked overnight with a tablespoon of soda, and rinse thoroughly the next day.
2 large tomatoes, chopped into cubes.
1 medium onion, chopped
A bunch of parsley, chopped
70ml - 100ml of olive oil
Salt and pepper




Preparation: 

  1. The beans have been soaked overnight with a tablespoon of soda (baking soda). Rinse it thoroughly.
  2. Put the beans in a big pot of water and boil until cooked with some salt. Make sure the beans are not overboiled.
  3. Drain the beans, and rinse with some hot water. Add the beans back into the pot and cover the beans with hot water.
  4. Add the olive oil, tomatoes, onions and parsley into the pot, and stir. Simmer gently and season.
  5. Once the tomatoes and onions have cooked, taste and season accordingly.
  6. Serve.





0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Popular Posts