Lapin a la graine de moutarde (Rabbit in mustard)



I actually made this dish a few weeks ago, but only managed to type out the recipe now. I love rabbit. Its a healthy lean meat that is very tasty, although it can cost a pretty penny. Its a treat in this house - I save the innards (liver, heart, kidneys...) for my cat Katiki.

I found this recipe in the Le Cordon Bleu book I borrowed from a friend. I didn't exactly follow it word for word, as I decided to bake it in the oven with potatoes, and reduce the amount of butter and eliminate the cream. I didn't want to make a very heavy dish, and I also wanted to reduce the amount of time I will be spending in the kitchen. I love food that requires preparation and attention to detail, but easy to cook. 

Ingredients: (serves 4-6 people, or 1 husband, cat, and me for 2 days)

1 Rabbit, cut into pieces, preferably 8 or more. (approx. 2kg)


100g of wholegrain mustard
100g of Dijon mustard
A large handful of parsley, chopped


4 shallots, chopped fine
1 glass of dry white wine
2 cups (500ml) of chicken stock
A few small knobs of butter, to brown the rabbit
2 tbsps of olive oil
1 kg of potatoes, peeled and cut into quarters (or into long and fat 'fries' like I do)
Salt and pepper, to taste

Preparation:

1. In a big bowl that you can cover and store in your fridge, add the rabbit pieces (leave the head out - I cook that and the liver, heart etc for my cat Katiki), season with salt and pepper. Mix thoroughly with the 2 mustards and cover. Leave in the fridge for up to 12 hours. (I left mine for about 4)
2. Before cooking, take it out of the fridge and let it sit outside until it gets to room temperature. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C.
3. In a frying pan, melt some butter. When its hot, fry the meat pieces until slightly brown. Place the pieces into a baking dish.
4. In the same pan, lower the heat and add the chopped shallots. Saute until transparent.
5. Add the white wine (deglaze) and any liquid leftover from the mustard marinade. Scrape the bottom of pan to mix the cooking juices well. Reduce the liquid to about half.
6. While waiting for the juices in the pan to reduce, lightly coat the potatoes in olive oil, and season lightly with salt and pepper. Arrange the potatoes around the rabbit.
7. Once the liquid in the frying pan has reduced by half, add the chicken stock and parsley. Cook for another few minutes.
8. Empty out the pan into the baking dish. Turn the rabbit pieces around so as to coat the rabbit in the sauce.
9. Cover the baking dish with foil, and bake in the oven for 45 minutes to an hour, or until the rabbit is cooked through. The last 15 minutes, I like to remove the foil. This will allow the rabbit and the potatoes to brown slightly and the juices will become thicker.
10. Serve hot!


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Popular Posts