Dakos (Cretan Rusk Salad)


This is a dish that took me quite some time to get used to. I found that the barley rusks usually causes my mouth more harm than good (they are crunchy, and that is to put it mildly!) - that is until I attempted to make it myself at home. And I have to tell you, this is one of the best umami-laden salads you can have which is also very healthy. The feta and capers go really well with other, and olives and tomatoes? Do I need to say more? 

The Greek barley rusks are not easy to come by (unless you live in Greece.) but here is a website that I have been told is really rather good: GreekMarket. It delivers to anywhere (according to the FAQ). This will have to do until the day I attempt to make my own paximadi!


Ingredients: 

150 g of barley rusk (Greek paximadi  παξιμάδι )
4 large tomatoes, diced roughly
100g of feta (Greek feta please, none of these Greek-style white cheeses)
A large handful of Kalamata olives, pitted and halved (or whole, if you want)
2 tbsp of capers, roughly chopped.
A sprinkle of oregano
Olive oil, according to taste (the more the better!)

Preparation:

1. Arrange out a flat layer of paximadi in a flat bottomed bowl.


2. Add the tomatoes on top, along with the juices. (this will help soften the paximadi a bit so you don't lose your teeth eating the darn thing.)


3. Add the olives and the capers.


4. Roughly crumble the feta on top.


5. Add a sprinkling of oregano and dress it with olive oil. I would say use 2-3 tbsps of olive oil, and let it soak all the way down into the paximadi.


6. Leave to rest for a few minutes, until all the oil has trickled down to the bottom of the bowl. Stir before serving. The paximadi should be part crunchy part bread-soaked-with-oil-textured. Enjoy!





0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Popular Posts