Peach Clafoutis


The landlady gave me some wild peaches the other day. They grow in her garden in her village in the Peloponnese. They are quite small in size, and not those big round kinds you find in the supermarket. They are quite tasty, and since I had quite a few (I ate half in a space of a few days) I couldn't finish all of them before they rot and go all weird and gooey, so I have decided to make it into dessert or a pie of some kind. I remembered I saw in the past about a flan type of dessert that had a Greek sounding name. Rachel Khoo's cookbook came to the rescue, and it was 'Clafoutis'. Its not Greek in origin, but French - and derived from the Occitan language meaning 'to fill'. Traditionally its made with cherries, but I decided to make it with peaches. This is based on Rachel's recipe.

I also had some limoncello set aside and I added a few tablespoons of the liqueur onto the peaches and let it soak for a few minutes while I prepare the other ingredients. You can use any type of liqueur that you think will go well with the peaches. Or not use any. 


Ingredients:

200g of peaches, stoned, peeled and sliced
2 eggs
75g of sugar
A pinch of salt
50g of finely ground almonds
1 tbsp of flour
60ml of Greek yoghurt (or creme fraiche)
60ml of milk
1 tbsp of brown sugar, plus extra to coat the baking dish and garnish
A little butter to coat the baking dish
A little limoncello/liqueur added to the peaches (optional)

Preparation:

1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C.
2. Lightly coat the baking dish (or dishes) with butter. Lightly sprinkle the dish with the brown sugar to coat it slightly. Arrange the sliced peaches at the bottom in one level and sprinkle with the 1 tbsp of brown sugar. Set aside.
3. In a bowl, whisk/cream the eggs and the sugar together with the pinch of salt until it becomes a creamy pale yellow mix.
4. Sift in the flour into the mixture and fold in the almonds, mixing it thoroughly.
5. Add in the yoghurt/creme fraiche and the milk and stir.
6. Add the batter onto the prepared baking dish.


7. Bake in the oven for about 30 minutes, or until the tops have turned golden brown.


8. While hot, I garnish with a little more brown sugar. You can serve it hot or cold.



0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Popular Posts