Kimchi Fried Rice



I love kimchi. I have never had it as fried rice though. I have Rae (a Malaysian girl I know from Tumblr) to thank for this. She talked about it quite a few times and curiosity got the better of me. I went to Dong Fang with George today and bought Kimchi. (And queue the 'stinky food' jokes from far and wide like "Maybe the kimchi would like to visit Kerameikos, since it came all the way from Korea? It smells like it can walk out of the car on its own.". Ha ha.). I decided to not use plain white rice for the dish today, but mixed in some Camargue red rice and black rice (cooked separately and left to cool). It adds a bit of texture, and it is healthier.

You can eat it as it is, or add additional garnishes to compliment the fried rice. I like my fried rice with an egg on top and I had some wakame left over from before and I decided to make a simple sesame-soy wakame salad and use it a a garnish too.

So Raerae, this is for you! You are my muse. (Talk about food more, and we can see what else I am inspired to make!)

Ingredients: (serves 1)

Kimchi, chopped in small pieces (as much or as little as you want.)
1 tbsp of soy sauce
1/2 tbsp of chilli sauce/gochujang, or to taste.
1 tsp of sesame oil.
1 portion of cooked rice, cool. (Follow packet instructions.)
Wakame (seaweed) salad (garnish): seasoned with soy sauce, sesame oil and sesame seeds. (Optional)
1/2 of a spring onion, sliced thin. (garnish, and optional)
1 egg, fried sunny side up. (garnish and again, optional)


 Preparation:

1. In a pan/wok, heat up 1 tsp of vegetable oil.
2. Fry the kimchi until fragrant it has softened. Add the soy sauce and chilli sauce/gochujang. Stir.
3. Add the rice and coat the grains with the sauce. Continue frying and stirring for a few more minutes until the rice is cooked and near crispy.
4. Season with the sesame oil. And mix thoroughly for another minute.
5. Serve, and garnish with the spring onions, egg and wakame (optional!)



0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Popular Posts